Wednesday, April 20, 2005



Nettie Went Playing in the Park


I am filthy. I was dangling my feet in the water and when I walked back to my car my shoes were all squishy. I thought about leaving them on and seeing how long it would take my feet to get moldy, but I got cold feet. I was climbing all over the rocks and walking through the water and taking pictures. I am covered in microscopic bits of sunscreen and dirt and scuzzy water. It was awesome. Perhaps I should explain why.

I was talking with my friend Meka last night and she said that maybe I needed to find a safe place, a place where I could go and just be. I think this park is mine. When I was little and we'd go on field trips to see all the exciting sights South Carolina has to offer, they would always bring us there to eat lunch and run around and be stupid. I can't remember the last time I went there, just because. It was so peaceful there (well, except for the couples and their PDAs). I wandered around and took pictures for a while with my new toy, and then I went climbing on the rocks in the artificial stream. You aren't supposed to do that but we always did anyway. Then I just sat by the water and listened to Point of Grace, and I think communed with God. Maybe I should slow down and get back to nature more often. It was a good sort of thing.

5 Comments:

At 4/20/2005 10:14:00 PM, Blogger mrsd said...

I call it going on a 'mini-vacation'. It feels good to stop and stare at nature for awhile. :) Improves the mood and makes you feel more at peace--unless you have to chase a toddler around. :P But that's good for your heart too...lol.

 
At 4/20/2005 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Yes, dear, slow down and commune with God more often. We need it, and He appreciates it.

Glad you've found a place. To just be.

 
At 4/21/2005 09:44:00 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

Nature has a way of putting us in touch with God. The more complicated life becomes the more you need your place of Divine solitude.

 
At 4/21/2005 03:49:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

oooh I love being alone with nature and God. It's the bomb. Nothing less.

 
At 4/21/2005 06:43:00 PM, Blogger John said...

Great post Nettie! This was one of the reasons that I started watercoloring, because I could study His nature a bit closer and am I glad I started!

GBYAY

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home