Tuesday, August 16, 2005



This Blog Is Brought to You By....

Penguins. Why? Well, that's a funny story actually. I was wandering through Wal-Mart and penguins suddenly leapt into my mind. Why, I don't know, as I was picking out candy at the time, but penguins it was. And I realized the wonderful thing about blogs- that I can blather on and on about any random topic that comes to my mind, and you people listen to it. Heh heh.



So. Penguins. There are seventeen varieties, and one of my many useless talents is naming all of them. Many thanks to Spin for instilling the penguin song into my head during elementary school; apparently it never left. Actually, now that I think about it, penguins were an integral part of my early life. I wrote stories about penguins- a Little Blue and a Rockhopper, now nameless.

And then, of course, there was Scamper. If I close my eyes, I can hear that song, too- "Scamper, the penguin, the most curious one of all..." Not exactly Disney caliber, but I think there was a lesson about environmentalism in there somewhere. The penguins do bring me to a point, though. Not that my formative years were spent in front of the TV learning quasi-liberal lessons, but that I do not hate all birds. I like penguins! After all, penguins are cute and cuddly...and they only live in the Southern Hemisphere. You can see them at the zoo, but nowhere else. With all those advantages, how can I not say- gooooo, penguins!

14 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 07:31:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I love penguins.

The only contact I have ever had with them in penguin has been at the zoo and in a very stupid prank we used to pull on our friends.

Two or three of us would be in on it. We'd find a person we'd never pulled it on before and gather around him/her for a joke telling time. Then, by pre-arrangement, one of us would tell the joke, "Two penguins were on an ice berg. One of them slid off and yelled RADIO!'" Then we would all ROFLing and leave the other wondering what on earth we were laughing at.

It wasn't nice to do that to a friend, but, hey, who said we were nice?

 
At 8/16/2005 08:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

our family loves penguins. i love it when you see someone who has ordered birthday wishes for someone and instead of pink flamigos, they use penguins instead!!!!!!

 
At 8/16/2005 08:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just checked, you haven't adopted a penguin yet, maybe a new friend for neil?

 
At 8/16/2005 09:26:00 PM, Blogger M said...

I have this vision of the penguins in the movie Madagascar..LOL - they were funny

 
At 8/16/2005 10:19:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I was once roughed up by a gang of marauding penguins in Tennessee. Little beggars kept slapping me around with those nasty webbed feet.

Tuxedos, indeed...

 
At 8/17/2005 12:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always loved the penguins at Sea World and was fortunate to see them again last week. Nettie, it's time for you to move to Haloscan so you can ban spam. Most everyone I know at Blogger has had some serious problems lately with spam.

 
At 8/17/2005 02:23:00 AM, Blogger Christopher Trottier said...

I didn't even know blue penguins existed.

 
At 8/17/2005 05:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penguins!!!

Oh so cute!

Alice :)

 
At 8/17/2005 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I'll bet it's the penguins who have been spamming Blogger comments.

DOWN WITH SPAMMING PENGUINS!!!

 
At 8/17/2005 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

I so love penguins. And platypi. I could write about platypi. And how people call them platypuses, which just makes me think of something naughty and totally unrelated. My mind is weird.

-N

 
At 8/17/2005 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Marla Bean said...

Ok, not to sound all Hitchcockish on you, but I am so afraid of most birds. Birds that do not fly are ok, so I can hang with penguins and the ostrich, but I really don't like chickens (which people say can fly, but I've never seen them do more than flutter their way over fences). I especially hate pidgeons, with their pimply feet and canibalistic ways. When I was overseas, I watched a group of pidgeons attack and eat an abdondoned container of chicken nuggets. That was just freaky.

 
At 8/17/2005 07:11:00 PM, Blogger Muley said...

My kids and I loved the Scamper video, although that little girl penguin with the squeaky voice (Scamper's love interest, maybe?) got annoying after awhile.

You MUST MUST MUST see the documentary "March of the Penguins," which is in theaters now. Amazing movie. I'm trying to get a review of it posted on my site soon.

Take care. Hope you're having fun.

 
At 8/18/2005 08:50:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Marla, are you suggesting the pidgeons knew the nuggets were once distantly related to them?

 
At 8/19/2005 06:47:00 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I bet you were thinking about that new movie, "The march of the Penquins." My daughter went to see it and loved it. Check it out Miss Nettie Bell.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home