Thursday, August 11, 2005



Scare Yourself to Death

OK, so I'll admit it. Scary movies, well, scare me. I'd like to say it ended in high school, when I ended up all alone in the front seat of The Sixth Sense theater, my friends snickering somewhere behind me. The whole theater, however, heard me gasp when the boy-with-no-back-of-the-head turned around. But I watched it several years later while home by myself at night and am proud to say I had no nightmares.

Unfortunately, this inability to be quiet followed me to college. I refused to watch The Ring without the lights on. And Wrong Turn, about the inbred West Virginia mutants killing innocent college students? "If you aren't quiet, Nettie, you can't watch the rest of the movie with us!" I suppose it's progress that I'm making a fool of myself in a room with a rented movie instead of a theater. OF course that might be because I'm just cheap.

In spite of this, I continue to scare myself. I love Silence of the Lambs, although I've watched to the point of it no longer being scary. I've discovered Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction, which makes me jump at least twice an episode even though the whole point is that it may or may not be true. So is there some deep psychological significance for why we continue to deliberately scare ourselves?

Is it easier than facing the reality of what truly scares us? Is it at least more exciting than some drama about people whining for their lives or trying to win a million dollars by eating bugs? Does it vicariously satisfy our dark sides like nothing in real life ever can? Comforting to know that we are actually safe and can scream and someone will always come to our rescue? Maybe. Or is it just fun to be scared?

15 Comments:

At 8/12/2005 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

It's almost as fun to be scared, as to scare somebody.

 
At 8/12/2005 12:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend, Andee, wanted to know if you're a hooker.
I told her no. "No, she's not a hooker."
"Oh," she said, "I thought we were still on the hookers."

...late night surfing

 
At 8/12/2005 12:25:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

woohoo for scary movies...I am a sucker for them. But the good ones are scarce. The Ring was the last one that kept me glued and scared. I think I prefer tension and psychological stuff than gore. Nightmare on Elm Street used to do it for me... now it just looks dumb.

-N

 
At 8/12/2005 12:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you found The Ring frightening, you'll find The Grudge doubly so. I typically buy scary movies that I like so I can relive the "fun". But The Grudge so terrified me (in particular, a rather familiar sound used by the "bad guy") that I can't bear to own it. In fact, my husband and friends mimic the noise to tease me because it still gives me the creepy crawlies and it's been months since I saw it in the theater.

 
At 8/12/2005 03:28:00 AM, Blogger John said...

Nettie, there is nothing wrong with a good fright! I often look in the mirror!

GBYAY

 
At 8/12/2005 06:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved the sixth sense, i'm actually going to do a blog about it later today. i won't watch silence of the lambs though, i don't like the subject matter. two of the scariest movies i've ever seen were burnt offering (with bette davis) and carrie (with sissy spacek)

 
At 8/12/2005 07:17:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I was afraid to post a comment here.

 
At 8/12/2005 11:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, those are great movies. I nearly jumped out of my skin when the girl crawled out of the TV.

Aliens, leprechauns, bugs, you name it, I love being scared by it.

Alice

 
At 8/12/2005 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

I enjoy a good scarey movie now and then. I prefer them over romantic comedies because those just depress me for some reason :)

Take care young lady!

 
At 8/12/2005 07:54:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Joe: glad to see you managed to overcome your fear.

 
At 8/13/2005 12:12:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I don't scare easy and I'd eat bugs for 5 bucks.

 
At 8/13/2005 06:49:00 AM, Blogger D said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8/13/2005 02:44:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

bailey's milk: how long have you been holding it in now?

 
At 8/13/2005 03:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a boring old ***************** I have not seen any of those films....


I don't like scary films.... the darleks in Dr Who did it for me as a child......

 
At 2/08/2006 08:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home