Tuesday, February 08, 2005



The Three Heads

I'm still playing with the links- if you want yours taken down, or put up for that matter, please email me, and I will be happy to oblige. And now on to your regularly scheduled programming.

My cell and molecular biology class is team taught by three female professors. Dr. Connolly is the one whose name is on all the transcripts for the class and posts everything on the Internet. Dr. Kriezek is small and drives us nuts. In class she can't reach high on the board and has to go down low, where the podium blocks what she's writing. Dr.Vance is the tallest and my personal favorite, since I had her for Biology 101 my first semseter. Normally, one of them teaches and the others prowl around in the back while she does. Yesterday's study session was the first time we saw all three of them in action together.

I walked in a bit late since I had dumped 32 ounces of orange soda on myself and had to run back to the dorm to change. The study session was in full swing and Dr. Kriezek was giving the answers to the practice exam. The others kept chiming in. They had an interesting arrangement- Dr. Kriezek was on the far left, with Dr. Vance in the middle and Dr. Connolly nearest me. They were all scribbling on the board and talking. Then Dr. Kriezek finished going over the practice exam and asked if there were any questions. One girl asked what to do if they didn't have PowerPoint and couldn't see the notes on the website. Dr. Kriezek said she could go to the library. I volunteered that there was a viewer you could download. SNAP! Three heads simultaneously turned to look at me. I then lamely added, "But I don't remember where you can get it." SNAP! Three heads turned back to the girl as Dr. Kriezek said, "Well apparently you can get a viewer for it." I then decided to add, "I got it from a chemistry website." SNAP! The three heads are looking at me again. "But it is free." SNAP! Three heads back on the poor girl who's regretting she asked. Dr. Kriezek says, "OK, so you might want to google that and find out how to download it. Or you can go to the library." No more snapping. Finally.

The test turned out to be just as interesting as the study session. Two of my friends thought they were going to be late for it and were running. I stayed behind and calmly walked in my pajamas. Unfortunately, this caused me to miss the next scene. As you entered the test, Dr. Kriezek was handing out the exams and a male T.A. handed out the answer sheets and told you where to sit. Unfortunately, Ashley missed the second step of this process, forcing the hapless T.A. to yell out, "Purple shirt. Lavender shirt! PERIWINKLE!" Ashley walks on, oblivious to Nicole going, "Ashley. Ashley! ASHLEY!" Finally, the T.A. caught her attention and vaguely guided her to a seat, minus an answer sheet. Once seated, Ashley naturally wonders, "Where's my answer sheet?" Good question.

I assume in the future the exams will be less, um, entertaining. One of the three versions had true and false reversed (mine, naturally.) I don't know how well I did, but I'm sure it was much better after the two burly guys on either side of me left and I was able to actually think about the test and not my serious lack of personal space. Now, what can The Three Heads come up with to remedy that?

11 Comments:

At 2/09/2005 02:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment. You've got a cool blog here, yourself.

 
At 2/09/2005 08:26:00 AM, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Aaah exams. And the stress it brings. Rather you than me, love...although I'm embarking on a professional photography course soon, so I just might be having the same issues as you are :)

 
At 2/09/2005 09:58:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Nettie,

Did you wear your pajamas to class?

I love the story about the three heads snapping, it's hillarious, and the T.A. yelling, you painted a comical picture in my brain. But I don't follow the question at the end, some things fly over my head!

 
At 2/09/2005 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

Yes, I did wear my pajamas to class. And I was asking how trhey could figure out a better way of squeezing us in there so I wasn't in between two enormous guys, with practically no room to breathe.

 
At 2/09/2005 10:24:00 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Hi Nettie, I once had someone made a lame joke for remedies. He said make em laugh their heads off - Like "ha..ha.. plonk!" Maybe those 3 heads can use some humor?

 
At 2/09/2005 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Exams! AAck! Don't remind me!

However, it does remind me that I have a pile of homework I must do today. I'd much rather be blogging. :)

(Someone really needs to make a bumper sticker that says that.... "I'd much rather be blogging." I'd buy it!

-Jen

 
At 2/09/2005 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Lori said...

You are so brave to wear your jammies to class. I wish I could have in my day, it was always silly me being dressed to the nines for no reason. Good for you. Comfort is much easier to concentrate in. Where did my link go? Don't feel obligated to put it back up, just wondering.

 
At 2/09/2005 02:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you apply your cell and mol bio lessons to the exotic concoctions at Bath and Body Works?

 
At 2/09/2005 09:06:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Inquiring minds want to know why this site is called "Nellsharvey". I get that Harvey is the name of the car, but who is Nell? Is Nell and Nettie the same name?

 
At 2/09/2005 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Pusher said...

Nettie, in ask to what to post in your comment's Feb. 09 at 10:55 PM. All I have to say to that is some people are a little bubbly.

 
At 2/09/2005 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Yeah, they are the same thing. Some people call me Nellie instead of Nettie, and so basically it's short for Nellie's Harvey. Nellsharvey just sounded better.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home