Monday, May 30, 2005



In Memoriam

Note: In the U.S., Memorial Day is traditionally about honoring veterans. I do want to post about my grandfather's WWII service at some point. But I wrote this last week, and it just seeemed the appropriate day to share it.

The song Homesick, by MercyMe, has been posted about a lot recently. For those of you who don't know it, it's about being homesick for heaven, homesick for the people we won't see again until then. For those of you who do know it, you probably have a specific person you think of when you hear it. For me, it's my cousin Kevin.

It's been three months since we lost him, but sometimes, it's like my heart is being broken all over again. Maybe it's because his little sister Alisa is about to graduate, and she'll have to make her way through her life, always in his shadow. Or when I look at Austin, so full of life and promise, so much hope for the future, so much in the now. I know I'll see him again. I know that. But I can't help thinking that I want him here. I want him back here on earth, back in the life that he loved so much and lived to the fullest. When Kevin died, it tore me apart in a way nothing has before. I don't think anything else ever could. But I do know where he is. He's happy with his Savior, and he's laughing.

So Godspeed to you, my Kevin- we're going to have some fun when I get up there. And I hope you know just how much you are still loved. Always, my cousin, always. I've never been more homesick than now....

9 Comments:

At 5/30/2005 06:25:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

*adds to list of fun things to do with Nettie in heaven*

Love ya, baby

 
At 5/30/2005 08:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May all our fallen veterans know the deliciousness of CLC.

 
At 5/31/2005 03:05:00 PM, Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

I agree with Janie q and Mountain mama. It kind of comes and goes in cycles, too... I sort of believe that that's one of God's gifts, letting us heal a little and then allowing something to remind us of them to help keep the memories alive... I was so scared of 'losing' the memories of my mom when she passed... forgetting what her voice sounded like, what her laugh sounded like, what hugging her felt like... but God gives us things to keep those memories. Three of my mom's best friends from school heard me laugh at the funeral home and told me I laugh just like her... that's stuck with me ever since, and I can feel her laughing with me ;) It does get easier, girlfriend, or maybe we get stronger... and things don't really get back to "normal", but you find the "new normal"...
(((hugs)))

 
At 5/31/2005 03:28:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

May the Spirit's comfort rest upon you, dear sister.

I love "Homesick"--I think mostly of my dad when I hear it. Even now, just typing that, I began to tear up.

The void left in us when people we love pass on is never really filled. They carved out that little niche in us, and no one else fits it perfectly like they did, nor does any thing. God meant it that way--it reminds us of the power of love to shape us, to fill our lives with joy and calls us to live our lives with the ever-present knowledge that we are not home yet.

 
At 5/31/2005 07:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for grace and peace for you Nettie.

It does get easier with time...

God bless

B

 
At 5/31/2005 10:37:00 PM, Blogger D said...

hon, you made me tear up..

things like that remind us to appreciate everyday with our loved ones.

I wish He was here, to see my joy, to be there when i'm in anguish, to be present on my wedding day. But to know he's not suffering anymore, is a comfort indeed.

 
At 6/01/2005 11:45:00 AM, Blogger Amigo said...

I feel grieved that you are grieved. At least your loss is temporary, you will meet him again.

Of course, you being so young and all and lacking patience ;), it will seem like a long time.

 
At 6/02/2005 07:59:00 AM, Blogger Guy Hutchinson said...

You DID write about Jell-o! You rock, Nettie!

 
At 6/22/2006 06:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Litter information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home