Tuesday, October 11, 2005



They're Killing The Cartoons

Unicef is killing the Smurfs. Apparently it's to make a point about the state of the world. I'm not sure how spreading blue cheer with cute little voices deserves a massacre. But the bombs rain down on that village. It's not just the Smurfs, or even the SpongeBob controversy. Cartoons ain't what they used to be.

Take Captain Planet. It had a message- granted, a slightly liberal one- but overall harmless put-the-polluters in jail. Or Animaniacs, which made no sense but stuck in your head- "What are we gonna do tonight, Brain?" "Same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world!" David the Gnome, who went around saving little forest creatures. Even Scooby-Doo, with its predictable plots and "If it weren't for you meddling kids!" Anything was better than this.

Shows about flies. I mean, who wants to watch a show about flies? Or better yet, cockroaches! Sure, they're the ones you want to come and save the world. Apparently Winnie the Pooh isn't good enough for Disney anymore, they only put him on at 5:30 in the morning. And none of the old stuff is on Cartoon Network- no Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Lab, even Powerpuff Girls. I just want to know what all these poor innocent creations did to get bounced by the Mega-Disney and get replaced by insects. At least they aren't bombing the Hundred Acre Wood.

10 Comments:

At 10/12/2005 12:28:00 AM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Rush said they should show Al Qaeda beheading Papa Smurf. That would be more realistic.

He's right. Leave it to the thugs at the UN to make us out to be the bad guy.

 
At 10/12/2005 04:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a big time cartoon fan too and really the cartoons we used to watch as kids (winnie the pooh,pink panther,bugs bunny...) were really more fun than the stuff kids like these days (pokemon, etc.). even disney was better back then..I still love Aladdin or the little mermaid

 
At 10/12/2005 06:34:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I LOVED the Animaniacs. I never cared that much for the smurfs, but that does not mean I wanted them bumped off.

 
At 10/12/2005 09:34:00 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Maybe they are all hanging out in the Retirement Home For Cartoons...Seems like all the ones I used to watch as a kid are there.

 
At 10/12/2005 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

I love all the old cartoons so much better than the new ones. I Love when I can expose the Little Princess to the stuff I watched as a child.

 
At 10/12/2005 10:16:00 AM, Blogger Amigo said...

While I'm a fan of animation, I never really like the Smurfs. They represent a commercial side to animation I deplore since the cartoon was practically a ½ hour commercial. Quite a few of the cartoons of the 70's and 80's fall into that category.

So it's either old stuff like Bugs Bunny and other Warner Bros. stuff or some of the newer fare. And the new stuff I like is not really current:

Invader Zim
Cow and Chicken
I Am Weasel (hearing the voice of the guy who was Worf of Star Trek as a rightous weasel is hilarious)
Spongebob
Powerpuff Girls
Samurai Jack
DragonBall Z (sure it's the same story over and over, but it was still funny)
Rugrats (forget that All Grown Up crap)
Most Disney animated films (but the closer you get to present time so does the quality diminish)

 
At 10/12/2005 04:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favorite cartoon is still bugs bunny and all of his pals.

 
At 10/12/2005 04:14:00 PM, Blogger J. P. Gumball said...

You should check out Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends on Cartoon Network. I have a feeling it's your kind of cartoon.

 
At 10/12/2005 04:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason-you got Nettie pegged, don't you?

Well, they have killed off all pig characters in England now because of the Muslims. I'm sure nuking 100 acres is just around the corner.

BTW Nettie, I've tagged you for something.

 
At 10/12/2005 05:28:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

"I just want to know what all these poor innocent creations did to get bounced by the Mega-Disney and get replaced by insects."

I'm betting it's because they all refused to sign on to the whole "equal benefits for gay couples" thing. You know, because aside from Velma on "Scooby Doo"...

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home