Saturday, December 24, 2005



Finding the True Spirit

Just when I'm getting reeeeeeeeeeally fed up with the customers, I answer one's question. She then goes, "Are you having a good evening?" and I answer with sincerity, "Yes ma'am, and thank you for asking." Cause I do get excited when they ask me instead. But then, "Thank you for your service." All I can be is, "Awwwwwwwwww!"

One of the things I hate about the holidays is that I can rarely eat the treats everyone brings, because I may not be sure how they were prepared or the ingredients aren't listed. But I have one coworker who has several times brought in cookies that she made and told me exactly what was in them so I'd know they were safe. That just means so much, since I hate getting sick too.

The look on the face of my favorite little boy when I played my snowman-snowdog set that barks Jingle Bells for him. He was just entranced. He may not know what this Christmas is, but he knows he's loved.

"Are you seriously wearing a ribbon for a belt?" "I'm getting a new one for Christmas, okay?" All right, so maybe that isn't exactly finding the spirit....

"Look, Lauren. It's Santa." "Santa Claus is in our store?" "Santa is in our midst. Look, Melissa- Santa!"

My good friend who just got engaged. He proposed to her on Christmas Eve morning. I mean, how romantic is that?

Christmas invariably comes with some headaches for me. But there's so much more- the camaraderie, the making others happy, Christmas hugs- you can't help but feel the magic. So even though all I really want are clean clothes and some sleep, I'm almost sorry to see it end. Merry Christmas, y'all.

23 Comments:

At 12/24/2005 07:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Christmas hugs* Merry Christmas Nettie.

 
At 12/24/2005 07:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Christmas hugs* Merry Christmas Nettie.

 
At 12/24/2005 07:41:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Merriest of Christmases, in the truest spirit of the day, to you and yours (especially little Austin), dearest Nettie.

 
At 12/24/2005 08:04:00 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Miss Nettie Belle, You have made it this far, you'll make the the rest of the way. January is going to be just as dead as December was busy. Either you will be getting ready to take inventory or you will be bored to tears. I'll glat you were able to keep the Christmas spirit with you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

 
At 12/24/2005 08:42:00 PM, Blogger D said...

Merry Christmas, Nettie sweetie!! yes, Xmas has arrived in Singapore already :)

hope you'll have a jolly good time with your loved ones!!

 
At 12/24/2005 09:47:00 PM, Blogger SCGeeCheeGirl said...

Merry Christmas Nettie! Sending hugs and good wishes your way!

 
At 12/24/2005 10:38:00 PM, Blogger Amigo said...

Merry Christmas Nettie. Have a great time with your family (especially your nephew) and may you be blessed with patience for the customers.

 
At 12/25/2005 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Cori said...

Merry Christmas.....and thank you for always being there...in my blog world.

 
At 12/25/2005 01:12:00 AM, Blogger Janette said...

Dear sweet Nettie,

Hubby gave me my ring on Christmas Eve years ago so this day means so much to me. Family, friends and love... thanks so much for being part of that tradition.

Love and hugs!

Merry Christmas!

 
At 12/25/2005 08:58:00 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Happy Christmas to you! Have a wonderful day-no extend that-few days.

 
At 12/26/2005 12:55:00 AM, Blogger Mike Jones said...

Christmas is about family, joy, love, giving, and all that great stuff. Keep up the good attitude!

Merry Christmas!

 
At 12/26/2005 05:58:00 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas! I loved what you wrote about your nephew - and next year, he'll be even more fun during the holidays!

 
At 12/26/2005 03:48:00 PM, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday!

 
At 12/26/2005 08:50:00 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I hope you had a great Christmas Nettie!

 
At 12/26/2005 08:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That IS so romantic! *swoons*

Merry merry Christmas.

Alice and pals.

 
At 12/26/2005 09:50:00 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Oh sweetie... bless your heart! I am so glad it's almost over.

Merry Christmas, girl!

 
At 12/27/2005 08:49:00 AM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Thank you, Nettie. There were quite a few people who received thoughtful gifts that you were a part of. I have stocked enough shelves to appreciate what you do. Thank you.

 
At 12/27/2005 02:40:00 PM, Blogger Marla Bean said...

It's not easy, but every single year I have to remind myself what Christmas is. It's so easy to get involved in the hustle and bustle (especially for those who are in retail) and forget why we drive ourselves so nuts. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

 
At 12/27/2005 06:57:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Hope you had a most graciously blessed Christmas.

 
At 12/28/2005 02:18:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I'm sorry to see it end too. But now I can get back to blogging.

 
At 12/28/2005 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Deb said...

It's funny that you said you had to know the ingredients of the cookies that people bring in.

I'm allergic to peanut butter/nuts in general, and I have to be extra careful, or I can seriously harm myself. So I stay away from all cookies. Sad. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise since I'm trying to lose some weight! *sigh*

 
At 12/30/2005 04:55:00 AM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Hugs to you Nettie. Happy New Year too!

 
At 7/21/2006 10:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a basketball recruiting
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home