Wednesday, December 07, 2005



To Remember A Man

An icon of South Carolina Republicanism, former Governor Carroll Campbell, died this morning. My fellow SC blogger Laurin has a good roundup for those of us familiar with his legacy.

Considering the majority of my readership is out of state, however, a bit of explanation. Governor Campbell was before my time, but I grew up hearing of his leadership during Hurricane Hugo. As I grew older, I learned of his efforts to bring profits and jobs to South Carolina- among others, BMW and drug plants. And I can honestly say that no governor since has lived up to his example.

Most recently, I have been working on his son Mike's lieutenant governor campaign. I grew to appreciate Governor Campbell through his children, as Mike is a genuinely nice man, and the most involved politician I have ever worked with. Governor Campbell was struck by early-onset Alzheimer's in 2001, yet all of his family has continued making South Carolina a better place. I will try to update this, at least with links, as I find out more. But for now- remember Carroll Campbell. And if you never knew of him, now's an excellent time to start.

Update, 8:00 P.M. It was confirmed earlier that the Governor succumbed to a heart attack, in his sleep, although unexpected. Also, thanks to Mark for the linkage.

7 Comments:

At 12/07/2005 04:23:00 PM, Blogger SCGeeCheeGirl said...

I just heard that he had passed. GOd rest his soul. He was a wonderful man, father and leader. He is going to be greatly missed. I remember when he was govenor - he certainly kept everyone on their toes in reforming the SC government! Those were the good ole days. I agree that no govenor has come close since (though Sanford has tried.). Prayers with his family.

 
At 12/07/2005 06:58:00 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like an incredible guy. I am not familiar with him, but my prayers go out to his family and friends.

 
At 12/07/2005 07:31:00 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

I'll keep the family in my prayes. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

 
At 12/07/2005 09:42:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I know he will be missed.

 
At 12/08/2005 12:26:00 AM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

What a wonderful dedication. Thanks for introducing me to a great man. I pray his family will be comforted by all the friends and supporters he had.

 
At 12/08/2005 02:27:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Sorry to hear that Nettie.

 
At 12/08/2005 05:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're very glad that you are so engaged in having a voice for our country.

We should all be so dedicated.

Prayers to the Governor.

Sick Alice (cough cough) and Jill

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home