Thursday, February 24, 2005



Footprints

Both literal and figurative- I suppose I'm in a contemplative mood today. At work today, I was looking at the footprints I made climbing the shelves (instead of using the ladder like we're supposed to), and I started thinking about what kind of footprints I leave in life. When Harmony jokingly says she's a heathen and I say there's hope for everyone, does she just dismiss my ramblings, or does she maybe think that here's someone who's a little wacky, true, but has something that truly sustains her and maybe it isn't so wacky? When Heather says she admires me for being a rarity and waiting until marriage, does she understand why I choose to be that way? Does my silly and occasionally annoying personality hide my desire to be a woman of Christ?

I learned a long time ago not to care what people thought of me, both because I'm happy with who I am, and because I know the gospel offends. But when I say I don't care what people think at me, laugh at me if it makes you happy, I want them to understand why I have that attitude. Because if I didn't I'd spend a lot of time being upset because someone told me, "You suck, Bible thumper," or "Wow, you're loud Nettie, don't you ever shut up?" (No). I guess my point is, I've learned to go through life being who I am, most of the time anyway. And hope I can maybe influence some people along the way. I may be young, but I think I have the right idea here, yes?

9 Comments:

At 2/24/2005 11:32:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Having the courage to "be you"--the "you" God created you to be--is a gift. Cherish it.

And please, continue to save yourself, and the preciousness God instilled in you, for marriage. You will be rewarded.

 
At 2/25/2005 01:06:00 AM, Blogger Amigo said...

Just keep on giving the gospel when the Spirit moves you. If you're following God, you can't go wrong.

And for the people that insult you with spite and malice, ignore the insults and pray for them. And be careful to not toss your pearls before swine.

 
At 2/25/2005 02:07:00 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

I wasn't referring to anybody specific as far as insulting- mostly they just don't understand. I can work with that.

 
At 2/25/2005 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

It's easier to swallow your medicine with a bit of sugar, just as it's also easier to accept truth with a bit of quirky Nettie mixed in.

Be the silly fun Nettie with the ageless wisdom that you carry and you will reach many. And as the Bible says, they will know you are a Christian by your love.

I echo, the you go girl!

 
At 2/25/2005 02:53:00 PM, Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

Nettie – first thanks for stopping by The Square Slant. I love musicals they are fun.

I enjoyed you Footprint blog – first because it sounds like you live your faith – instead of only talking about it! I find that very admirable. Actions speak loudly.

I would disagree that the gospel offends – but state that people use the gospel in offensive ways. I am not a Christian (much to my Mother’s sorrow – don’t worry she is working on me…and she too lives what she believes…she is a truly wonderful woman and mother) but still have a strong belief in God.

So many people feel the need to denigrate beliefs of others in an attempt to elevate their own. I don’t understand that – never will. Why do so many feel the need to “prove” their faith is the best. The word faith is defined as a belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof. Yet hours, upon hours of debating are spent on trying to prove the un-provable, “My God is better than your God.” To me this is the ultimate in ridiculousness.

I think you have it right. If you lead your life being who you are you can influence some people along the way. Take care!

 
At 2/25/2005 05:33:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Sounds like it's been pretty well said, but again I echo, you go girl! It's hard to just "be yourself." WAAAAAY hard.

 
At 10/09/2006 02:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://dfkeegga.com/lcjw/ncaj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://hkuhbzci.com/eutj/wcpa.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 10/09/2006 02:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 10/09/2006 02:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://dfkeegga.com/lcjw/ncaj.html | http://dwvbvqli.com/fgvl/kbur.html

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home