Thursday, February 24, 2005



Soundtrack to My Life

I love music. It entertains me, uplifts me, and I have a TON of it in my head. Today I discovered my manager Jen has the same, erm, gift. I don't remember how we got around to this, it was after closing time and we were talking about nothing. But we ended up singing the most random songs- "Found a Peanut," "There's A Hole In The Bucket," etc. that I never thought anybody else over the age of 10 knew. I think Leslie was a little confused by it all, although she was able to join in when we debated Sesame Street versus Lamb Chop, and their respective songs.

It's unfair, really, anything people say to me is fair game to end up here. Oh well. I was singing to myself as I restocked the shelves, since the Muzak was turned off. Jen said I was like "Our own private little radio station." I can think of more useful talents, like an innate understanding of organic chemistry. But I suppose being able to sing most songs that come on the radio, and always having CDs, and being able to match snippets of songs to almost any conversation, isn't the worst ability to have. My music rules the back room (since the radio doesn't work much), and sometimes people even enjoy my mix of '80's rock and contemporary Christian. And if all else fails, I amuse people. I've always been a good class clown, and if I can brighten people's day by singing "Chicago" and "The Sound of Music" verbatim, at utterly random times... then that can only be a good thing.

9 Comments:

At 2/24/2005 12:18:00 AM, Blogger Blair said...

Found a peanut is one of my most favorite random songs ever! My brother used to just sing those three words over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over... well, I think you get the picture now!

 
At 2/24/2005 12:32:00 AM, Blogger Amigo said...

HAve you ever listened to ApologetiX? You can listen to some of your 80's and later hits with a Christian message.

 
At 2/24/2005 03:12:00 AM, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

I am SO with you on the music thing. I sing the Sound of Music in my office all the time. Annie is another favourite. It's impossible not to sing. You see, my alter ego is actually julie andrews.

Keep on singinjg and know that across the pond I'm singing too!:)

 
At 2/24/2005 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Yay! I'm not the only one to sing totally random songs. (I actually DID sing "there's a hole in the bucket" not too long ago.) Wowza!

 
At 2/24/2005 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

You need to record your singing and give us a sample! A sample is worth a thousands words you know.

 
At 2/24/2005 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I often find myself walking around with some random tune in my head, until I finally stop long enough to ask myself, "Where in tarnation did that come from???"

Then I retrace my steps, my hours, my days and it usually ends up being something like Oh, yes, lettuce, cucumbers, ahhhhh, the grocery store, the animated voice said "Please step back and watch for misters" and then tje Jewel version of "Singing in the Rain." I bag up my last cucumber and wipe the water off my arm. Mystery solved. Time for a new tune.

 
At 2/24/2005 01:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always looking for a good mix of what could comprise the soundtrack to my life, but so far, I haven't come up with anything final. It usually involves Dave Matthews and Tori Amos, so that's a start.

 
At 2/24/2005 04:10:00 PM, Blogger Cori said...

I just listen to the radio all of the time. But you can sing to me anytime!!

 
At 2/24/2005 06:48:00 PM, Blogger Vivian said...

Thanks for stop by and wish me happy birthday. I had fun on my birthday. Hang out with a friend and had a nice meal. I felt so much better after. Thanks again.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home