Wednesday, June 29, 2005



Childhood

From Janie, a.k.a. "Better safe than sorry", and also Lynnee; the idea is five things I miss about my childhood. But don't worry, I won't tag anyone, I know y'all are a bit memed out. I probably never will be.

1. My great-grandmother, Nannie. She died when I was ten- but not before I became a Christian. She would send my sisters and I money- I don't know where she got it on a fixed income. Whenever she visited she'd tell me about God, not pushy, just how much He loved me. Big influence on my young life. Sometimes I wish she could see who I've become now- and I know she'd love Austin.

2. The ability to watch Lion King over and over and still get teared up- "Mufasa died again!" And at the beginning scene, I'd hold my poor little Yorkie up like I was Rafiki holding Simba up to his subjects. I was a bit obsessed with TLK.

3. The toys. Not that I haven't moved on to other toys, but now I have to pay for them. And come on, nothing was as fun as Furbys. I had four of them and between them all they never shut up. Quite annoying, but I thought they were funny at the time. "Make those things go to sleep already!"

4. I didn't have to cook. And somebody always made me eat my vegetables and made sure I actually drank milk. Now my idea of a balanced meal is adding Ranch to the sausage as I drink back a two-liter of Coke. And the only milk I get is on my Chocolate Lucky Charms.

5. Patriotism was so much simpler for me. I could stand and wave my little American flag, singing "God Bless the U.S.A." on the stage of the talent show. I loved my country unconditionally. Now I see how complicated everything is and how much needs to be fixed. But I still love my country. Proud to be an American...

18 Comments:

At 6/29/2005 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Nice list. I have to say, #5 struck me closest to heart. Though, for myself, there was almost never a time when I wasn't at least marginally politically aware--and I've always been both very patriotic and very, very, very, very, very, very, very conservative. I figure God wanted me that way, since I was obviously born that way.

 
At 6/29/2005 02:16:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Yeah, number one and five are the foremost, that's why I put it last.

 
At 6/29/2005 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

That was like something out of Anne of Green Gables. You are a kindred spirit.

 
At 6/29/2005 03:35:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Oh boy. Don't get me started! I miss my childhood a lot. Maybe I shall have to answer this on MY blog a little later. I'll let you know!

 
At 6/29/2005 04:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice job nettie, i actually have another one to do, so, rest up until next week, cuz there's going to be another surprise for you;)
i love watching the disney movies with my kids, some of them i've seen close to 100 times, and i'm still not sick of them.

 
At 6/29/2005 06:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet sentiments. I know what you mean.

 
At 6/30/2005 01:36:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Note to self: learn what the word "politics" means if I want to fit in here.

 
At 6/30/2005 02:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same Darlene - still Brits are far less politically inclined in general I think!

Nettie,

You are still a child therefore how can you miss anything from your childhood if you still have it (oops I forgot, you are a big girl of twenty now) hangs head with shame and repentance!

 
At 6/30/2005 04:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool. You always have such a poignant way of putting things.

I miss both of my grandfathers.

I still play with toys. My husband thinks I'm wacky when I walk Winnie the Pooh across the floor to him. 'Think think...'

Oh, not having to do yardwork! That's a big one.

Being a government goon, I know what you're saying about complexity. I was raised conservative, Republican, but some things aren't always cut and dried.

There are a few things...terrorism must be fought and destroyed - no questions asked on that one.

I consider myself very patriotic. I put my life on the line often and do it without reservation or complaint. I believe in service before self.

I was telling someone of my hell week experience, where, at the end, they play the National Anthem and display your lieutenant's bars. Not a dry eye in the room.

Alice

 
At 6/30/2005 05:05:00 AM, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Hi Nettie!
Sorry its been ages since I have visited your fabulous blog! But here I am, and loved the entry. Got me very nostalgic.
I definitely miss these five things:
1)climbing trees
2)frilly dresses
3)ballet class
4)afternoon naps
5)roller skating.

 
At 6/30/2005 07:11:00 AM, Blogger Guy Hutchinson said...

Nice list. Made me a little teary eyed.

 
At 6/30/2005 02:38:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

You serious? Furbys are posessed. They must've taken over your brain.

 
At 6/30/2005 03:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss making love at midnight and drinking champagne. (My parents were quite liberal)

 
At 6/30/2005 03:09:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Um, "Skinny" Bill (if that's your real name...ahem...), do you mean to say that your parents allowed you to make love and drink champagne while you were a child? Or just let you watch them doing those things?

 
At 6/30/2005 03:13:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

I think SB is pretty clear actually.

 
At 6/30/2005 11:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was usually just something that happened after I jumped out of the bushes and chased little girls after midnight. It was all in fun, they love surprises. -Skinny Bill

 
At 6/30/2005 11:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry, I forgot to publish my URL this time. Skinny Bill

 
At 7/02/2005 07:04:00 AM, Blogger lynnee said...

we sure ate better as kids than we do now as adults, eh nettie? *referring to no.4*

;)

that's another thing about childhood that i miss.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home