Sunday, June 19, 2005



Can I Live?

I recently discovered the Nick Cannon song "Can I Live?" (hat tip: Amigo) and I fell in love with it. And when I fall in love with music, I just have to have it. Eventually, I discovered a place where I could download it. And after listening to it a few times, my basic conclusion was, "This is an awesome song, I wish everyone could hear it. But you know, it doesn't really have anything to do with me. How could it?"

But then I thought about that a little bit more. And I realized, it could have been me. It could have been anybody. It could have been one of you, it could have been any celebrity or friend or sibling you can think of born after 1973 (not to say it didn't happen before, too). Think about it. Think about if our circumstances had been just a little bit different. It scares me to think that I might not have had the chance to live and love and laugh and mess up. To never get that chance, but instead to be cut off from life before I really had the opportunity to live it.

I'm not saying that I don't think it must be a nasty situation to even think about abortion. I admit, when I look at Austin, I have a hard time understanding how anyone could make the decision to not allow life to a child so beautiful. But I've never been there, and it's not my place to judge. And I'm not saying I haven't made a lot of mistakes in my life. Because I have, and I'm sure I will again. I'm saying that no matter what happens in my life, I will always be grateful to be alive. To be here, to have been allowed the chance to thrive and to struggle. Think about it. Think about what the world would be like without you, if you never even had a chance to make it on your own. And then think about what a poorer place the world must be without the millions of souls that didn't get a chance, the people we will never know on this earth. Think about that, and then decide what you really believe.

9 Comments:

At 6/19/2005 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

I was almost aborted... umm yeah.

I dont really know how to take it... but I'm alive.

 
At 6/19/2005 11:42:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

And part of why we're here, is to fight for those who can't yet fight for themselves.

 
At 6/20/2005 04:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a wonderful, thoughtful post. My hat's off to you.

Alice

 
At 6/20/2005 01:10:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Jesus is holding them and rocking them in heaven.

 
At 6/20/2005 01:13:00 PM, Blogger Joy said...

What a wrenching subject. As someone who picked up a friend after his girlfriend had an abortion, well it still makes me want to cry.

 
At 6/20/2005 06:24:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I ditto what Jeff said, it's what I couldn't put into words.

 
At 6/20/2005 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Thanks, Darlene. I went to the website linked to, and watched the video of the song. Powerful stuff. I think I want one of those "Can I Live?" t-shirts.

 
At 6/21/2005 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

Nettie, I was pregnant with my first child at 17 and did consider abortion. I also knew that I couldn't do it. He was the son that recently graduated from high school. Over the years I have known friends and family members that had abortions who are now suffering the consequences of their actions. Not just the emotional-guilt side of it, but numerous health problems that have come about. Of all the women I knew that had abortions, only one did not have a problem conceiving and/or carrying subsequent children to term. There is much mounding evidence now that there is a higher risk of breast cancer for women who had abortions, breast cancer at a young age. The actual procedure itself is too much to even think about.

 
At 6/21/2005 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Thanks Jeff, I didn't follow the link until today and now I see what a powerful video and song it is. I just thought the link would be to the CD cover or something, I didn't think to check. Sorry Nettie.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home