Saturday, June 11, 2005



For The Curious Ones

There are a lot of serious issues in this world, and in this country, that I think about. Politics, religion, crime, health...If someone asks what I believe about something, I will tell them (or even if they don't ask). Opinionated is a fair description (and probably one of the kinder ones used). If you read some of my comments to others' posts, you'll figure that out. But here? I prefer not to hit you over the head with it. If you nose around, you'll figure out what lies beneath the sweetness and light and bizarre humor. Today, as a special no-morals-here treat, I want to talk to you about....rodents.

But not just any rodents. Chipmunks. More specifically, Alvin, Simon and Theodore. Can't you just hear "The Chipmunk Song"? No? The Chipmunks were the brainchild of a man named Ross Bagdasarian, later voiced by his son Ross Bagdasarian Junior. The basic concept of normal voices speeded up to sound like that one Munchkin in The Wizard of Oz proved to be hilarious down through the years. This is the stuff of my indefinitely extended childhood. Reruns of "Alvin and the Chipmunks"...

And the music. What would Christmas be without "Christmas Don't Be Late" (a.k.a. "The Chipmunk Song")? But the Chipmunks are more than annoying relatives that just show up at Christmas. They sing the Beatles, run for President, venture into CCM. So, my friends, embrace the Chipmunks. They taught me how to recite 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, and that sometimes you can find fun CD's for five bucks at Walgreens. But perhaps most of all, the Chipmunks helped me to appreciate my inner child that won't shut up. For there's nothing quite like a good Chipmunks song sung at the top of the lungs....

15 Comments:

At 6/11/2005 06:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, lighting candles and putting ornaments on trees while Alvin and the gang croon over the stereo. The smell of allspice with a plate of red velvet torte.

Now that's Christmas.

 
At 6/11/2005 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Linky-Do.

The last one was the best. Witch doctor. Great song.

 
At 6/11/2005 10:06:00 PM, Blogger HadesGigas said...

ALVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!

 
At 6/12/2005 01:12:00 AM, Blogger Blair said...

Somewhere in my boxes of junk I love I have a Chipmunks disco album...

 
At 6/12/2005 06:06:00 AM, Blogger lynnee said...

i loved alvin & the chipmunks too :)

but now, i find their high-pitched squeaks a tad annoying... must be the growing-up business, sigh.

 
At 6/12/2005 07:01:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Lynnee, embrace the inner child.

Sorry for the psycho-babble. Seriously, though, I've decided that being an adult is not the opposite of being a child. You can be both at the same time, and it's probably good for our mental health to do so.

 
At 6/12/2005 07:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be one of these cultural things again but I don't have a clue what your talking about - but sounds fun anyway.

Maybe its a bit late but when I ask How are you Nettie, I would hope you would answer honestly. Honestly!

 
At 6/12/2005 07:54:00 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I'm a grandma and I love Alvin and the Chipmunks. He's been around for a long time.

 
At 6/12/2005 09:25:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

In high school, I was in the show choir. Our Christmas show contained a small portion of "the chipmunk song," and I along with two of my other giggling friends were selected to be chipmunks and perform it as a trio. It was hilarious. I wasn't intending to "audition" for that particular solo, but someone overheard me singing it in my "chipmunk" voice, and that person decided to inform the choir director of my abilities to impersonate the voices of famous squeaky cartoons.

What a show that was. "Me, I want a hoooooo-la hoop!!"

 
At 6/12/2005 12:33:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I love Alvin and the Chipmunks, they are the cutest. Even being a person who doesn't love cartoons, I can honestly say there will always be a place in my heart for Alvin.

"You can buy me a hoola hoop!" I love that little jingle.

 
At 6/12/2005 05:40:00 PM, Blogger John said...

There is no accounting for taste Nettie!

GBYAY

 
At 6/12/2005 07:50:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Alvin, you can click on the link "No?" above and go to Amazon for a sample.

 
At 6/12/2005 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

holy crap chipmunks rock.

They kick the crap outta squirrels.

 
At 6/12/2005 09:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Nettie, please feel free to add me!

Aloha

 
At 6/13/2005 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Joy said...

ah, the chipmunks. extended childhoods....priceless

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home