Thursday, June 09, 2005



What's Up?

Ever wonder when questions became greetings? People say to me, "Hey Nettie, how are you?" But come on, do they really want to know? I usually say, "I'm fine," or something to that variant. But what happens if I say something like, "I have to go out to my car to talk on the phone cause I can't find my regular charger, and much as I love playing in the rain, it's really annoying." I'm guessing it would be along the lines of, "Oh. Okay. Um, sorry," as they wander off with a confused look on their face, going, "Whatever happened to cheerful Nettie?" Then I would just sit back laughing.

"What are you thinking?" "Well, actually, I was wondering why they're making a Tarzan II when they already made a Tarzan and Jane sequel, so rightfully it should be called something like Tarzan: The Beginning, because it is the second Tarzan sequel; so it isn't Two, but it is set before Tarzan and Jane, actually sort of in the middle of the original Tarzan story, so maybe it should be called Tarzan: In the Middle. Why?" "Sure, OK. Uh, just curious."

"So what's up?" I might say "The sky." Which usually elicits a "You're so weird, Nettie." "And you're just now figuring this out?" But usually I just say, "Nothing much," figuring they really don't want to know. This bothers me; I want to come up with some snarkily brilliant reply that stops them in their tracks and makes them think, "Wow, Nettie is so weird." But then again, when people that really want to know what's up ask me this, I draw a blank. I never know what to say to this seemingly simple question. I guess it depends on whether the person really wants to know, or just thinks that they want to know. Because it might be a surprise if they are just being 'polite'. And if you really want to know? Well, I just hope you're ready for the ride.

21 Comments:

At 6/09/2005 04:02:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Hi! I'm trying to think of a snarkily brilliant comment, but unfortunately, I am distracted by a very strange noise coming from the apartment above me, so all thought has been temporarily suspended until I figure out what on earth it is....

 
At 6/09/2005 04:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, Jen, DON'T GO TO THE NOISE!!! ;)

 
At 6/09/2005 05:03:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

hmm... sounds freakishly familiar...

hmm maybe thats cuz those thoughts go through my head too.

So how ARE you doing?

:)

 
At 6/09/2005 05:05:00 PM, Blogger Amigo said...

Well Nettie, how are you? Don't pull any punches.

Maybe I should add Tarzan to my list of traumatic childrens films. His parents are killed off, just the way Disney likes it.

 
At 6/09/2005 06:37:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I love the one on Cheers when they ask Norm, "What's shakin?" and he replies, "Four three chins and four cheeks!"

I will think about an answer to what's up, that is a tough one, tootie bell.

Where's the brownies you were talking about, is this from way way back in time?

 
At 6/09/2005 06:48:00 PM, Blogger Amigo said...

I don't remember the "What's shakin?" response from Cheers. It was godd though.

I do remember Norm saying "It's a dog-eat-dog world out there and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

 
At 6/09/2005 08:01:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

This is why my default "greeting" is simply "Hey".

Takes the pressure off. And anything I can do to take the pressure off people will surely be rewarded, right?

 
At 6/09/2005 09:49:00 PM, Blogger Blair said...

The sky, the moon, the stars...

 
At 6/09/2005 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

OOoh!

 
At 6/09/2005 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Beast7 said...

As a increasingly balding son-of-the South, my response to "What's up?" is nearly always "the top of my shiny head."

That one usually is good for a "double take."

 
At 6/10/2005 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Good one, Gord.

Seems Nettie found more shiny...

 
At 6/10/2005 02:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its funny that Darlene mentioned the "what's shakin'" greeting, because there is a guy that i work with that always asks that- and i never know how to answer it. One day i was determined ask him efore he could ask me- so i could see how he would answer it, but having watched liar liar the night before, instead of asking him "whats shakin?" I asked, "hows it hangin'?" He just replied, "Uh- Ok i guess..." I felt like such a knob!

 
At 6/10/2005 02:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha!!!

How are you Nettie? I do want to know.

 
At 6/10/2005 07:29:00 AM, Blogger Ka Uro said...

nettie,
just want to thank you for visiting my site and leaving a comment. it meant a lot to me that someone who's not filipino or kiwi would care to read my blog. so i was truly surprised by your visit. thanks again. cheers.

 
At 6/10/2005 09:10:00 AM, Blogger Vijay said...

Know what ? When someone asks me ,"wazzup" ? i say "the roof" .. sometimes, when u r screwed up, u just dont want to answer to such questions. and thats when it gets on ur nerve.

 
At 6/10/2005 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

Nettie, I really want to know, 'How are you'?

 
At 6/10/2005 06:08:00 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Nettie, A good ole "How are you" is better than no greeting at all. I love it when people ask me how I am doing.

 
At 6/10/2005 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

What's up?

The price of real estate, the Canadian dollar, and praise God I can still say my boobs!

How's that answer?

 
At 6/11/2005 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

I love it Darlene! I'll have to let you know what the reaction is.

 
At 6/11/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger mrsd said...

I usually say the price of gasoline and milk. (But Darlene's answer provides a bit more color than white or amber. :D)

 
At 7/20/2006 10:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey how's it going!!!

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home