Wednesday, July 06, 2005



This Is Your Life

I've thought for a while about how I wanted to say this. I'm trying to be serious, for once. But I'm not a complainer, either. I'm not the type to go, "Oh, woe, woe is me, blah blah blah." At least not usually. And look at that, I'm making a joke again. I suppose I should just tell the story...

I think I've mentioned my knee problems in passing, not really in detail though. I was sixteen, and I never had an injury. I started physical therapy in January 2002 to try to avoid surgery. The lateral release was done on my left knee in March of my junior year. I recovered enough to stand at my sister's wedding in May, feel my knee buckle, and go, "Hey. That's the wrong knee!" Did the right one in July (cause I was stubborn and insisted on going on a mission trip to fix houses first).

Why am I bringing all this up? Well, with both knees, it was a long haul- fifteen months of physical therapy, constantly slipping and putting myself farther back, etc. Not to mention having the great timing to be in a wreck just before my senior trip. D.C. on crutches is, well, an experience. But I got through it. And maybe I wasn't the most agile, but then I never was. I took my knees for granted again. Until it came back. I hoped it wasn't happening again, but I knew. I knew when just going to work became painful, when I couldn't stand on my left leg anymore, knew that it was coming back to haunt me.

I do have a really awesome physical therapist, Karen, that I worked with in high school. She seemed optimistic that I might be able to avoid the next surgery up. Of course, that was before my leg gave out and I did a very dramatic almost-face plant on my fourth exercise today. And BBW has been great too (although Subway is now out of the picture). When I told my head manager Kathleen that it would probably be surgery, she was just like "OK, keep me informed, and we can probably make adjustments." And thankfully, neither she nor any of my colleagues who know treat me like an invalid.

But I don't think I thought this far ahead when I was sixteen. I suffered, and I worked, and I got over it. I jumped around and I played Spiderman on the backroom shelves and I lived my life. And now I feel like Frank Gilbreth, plotting every move I make so I don't mess it up more. I believe God has a plan for this. I know God has a plan for this. But I'm grown up now (well, technically). I am going to fight it. But I know, too, that this will always be with me. I'm only twenty years old. And this is my life.

11 Comments:

At 7/06/2005 10:29:00 PM, Blogger mrsd said...

Yikes, face plants aren't any fun. Hope your knee surgery goes okay...

Warmly,
mrsd

 
At 7/07/2005 12:19:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Keep us informed.

Prayers, friend.

 
At 7/07/2005 12:47:00 AM, Blogger Blair said...

Oh hon, been there! I feel for you , and am glad you had a good PT person, that always helped. I am looking at a new knee surgery myself someday soon, apparently my surgery is rather outdated... bah, I hated knee surgery and the six months of crutches that followed. Keep us posted.

 
At 7/07/2005 03:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor you..

As I am double your age (and a bit more), I can be more accepting of by dodgy knees but at 20 - that is not funny.

I am praying for you. (and them)

 
At 7/07/2005 04:46:00 AM, Blogger Vijay said...

At a point in life, you gotta realise, what is good for you and what is bad. I guess it is time for you to realise and be more conscious about your activities. I can empathize with you and being even younger than me, it does seem a bit surprising too. I do not want to sound sympathetic, because, sympathies won't help a soul get better. I believe you are strong and your faith in God will see you through this and many many more tough situations. But do realise when it's time to take control of life ! And all will be good. And no YOU ARE NOT AN INVALID :) and u never will be !

 
At 7/07/2005 06:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I know God has a plan. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Alice

 
At 7/07/2005 06:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these types of injuries SUCK!!!!!!!
that's pretty much all i have to say

 
At 7/07/2005 07:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there...thanks for commenting on my blog..over here checking yours out...hope all goes well with your knee..will keep you in my prayers...

 
At 7/07/2005 08:21:00 AM, Blogger KEF said...

Baby, I pray that everything goes on fine with your surgery.

I'll miss you from where I am, do get well soon, Love.

 
At 7/07/2005 10:43:00 AM, Blogger Beast7 said...

N-B-B:

I can empathize, I have a pair of arthritic, knotty knees from my mispent youth in the Army. Hang tough, kiddo--your drive comes from your brain and heart upstairs, not your wheels down below.

Remember, God don't put nothing on you he can't help you get through.

Beast7

 
At 5/08/2006 11:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used the phone sex chat Olympics in my team talk. When I went to bed,
Kelly Holmes turned me on - which is sad for me isn�t it? phone sex chat

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home