Sunday, September 04, 2005



Ramifications

I've said this all over the 'sphere, but I really am impressed by the turnout of bloggers. N.Z. Bear, the ecosystem guy, has been logging contributions by bloggers worldwide through the Labor Day weekend. The current contributions: $763,590 donated to charities by thousands of bloggers, which I'm sure will rise. Corporations: kudos go to Wal-Mart for making it easy; you could donate at any register and several tables that I saw. Other big guys, foreign countries; even my former, insanely secular university sent out a detailed email telling students how they could help and even urging them to pray. Keep up the good work, y'all, and even if it's only five or ten bucks, lots of little dribbles will become a flood.

And as for the fallout? No one would argue that this won't change our country. And the debates on could we have prevented much of the loss, who are we going to blame, are going to continue to rage. But for now, can we please just remember the survivors? The ones who need help that is coming, the ones who lost their homes and their loved ones, the ones who maybe could've done better. But then, couldn't we all have? Remember those that lived, mourn for those that died. And before you start raging against the man, remember that it could have happened to you, too.

5 Comments:

At 9/05/2005 09:33:00 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

At my church's evening service (not sure about the morning one because I was down helping in the nursery), we took five minutes and got in little groups (the whole congregation) and we all said prayers for those affected by Katrina...prayed for the people, for the army, the government, the aid workers...everyone involved.

 
At 9/05/2005 11:46:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Our congregation prayed specifically in the morning service.

I know that focusing on the victims is of utmost importance. I also believe that holding officials accountable for their obviously disastrous indecision and inaction is valid, even this close to the tragedy. If we let them off the hook, the details of their colossal failures will get swept under the rug and forgotten. Then the lessons which need to be learned from this will be less likely to be so learned. Nagin and Ebbert have the blood of thousands on their hands, and their trying like the dickens to divert attention onto FEMA.

That said, I continue to pray for the victims.

 
At 9/07/2005 02:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when bloggers do things that make a difference.

 
At 3/02/2013 07:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola! I've been following your blog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic job!

Check out my blog :: irving taxi service

 
At 3/19/2013 03:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Нi! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the outstanding work!

My web page :: dallas seo company

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home