Monday, January 17, 2005



MLK Day

Personally, I think it's way too early in the semester to require a three-day weekend, especially since we won't get any more days off until spring break, barring a snow or ice day (hey, I can always hope!) I wonder if it says anything about USC that this is the only federal holiday that we actually get off during the year (not counting Election Day). We don't get Columbus Day off, although I personally think Columbus is highly overrated, since he didn't really discover America, but that's another story. We go to school on Veterans' Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day. Does this mean that the administration doesn't value our presidents and veterans as much as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? Are veterans somehow less worthy of deserving a day off in reverence because they are numerous and somewhat faceless? Or have I just been at work way too long and I am making something out of nothing? USC does try to make Martin Luther King Day a day of service. I myself will be serving Bath and Body Works. Decide for yourself what that says about me...

5 Comments:

At 1/17/2005 01:29:00 PM, Blogger Blog ho said...

bath and body works?

 
At 1/17/2005 07:18:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Hope you get more days off after Srping Break.

 
At 1/20/2005 09:27:00 AM, Blogger Guy Hutchinson said...

Interesting points. I agree that it is strange that MLK is the only American with his own holiday (Columbus and Jesus weren't Americans and Presidents day now replaces Washington and Lincolns holiday.)
However, I think the holiday is supposed to represent more than just the work or life of one man, but instead the spirit of equality and America.
Still, like you, I went to the mall and basically wasted the day. I am not sure if giving people a day off is the best way to honor anything, but I sure enjoy it.

 
At 7/20/2006 06:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a bay area employment search
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 7/21/2006 06:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my bbc job vacancies site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home