Saturday, April 02, 2005



From One Southern Belle to Another

And now here are the answers to Paula's questions.

1. What is the worst memory of our country? Hmm. I have an obvious candidate for this, but it also shows the good side of America. September 11th was undoubtedly the worst tragedy I can remember, but I also think it showed a side to America rarely seen- their ability to come together for something greater than themselves, the outpouring of support, the courage of those both young and old. Still, the image of those planes hitting the towers seen over and over, the crying, the praying, the worrying...I'll have to go with that. That day, I believe, was my generation's defining moment. May we never forget.

2. Which do you prefer, sunrises or sunsets? Why? Sunsets. For the simple reason that I am never up early enough to see a sunrise.

3. Who has had the most influence in your life? Can I say a group of people? The high school I went to was absolutely wonderful. It was small, evangelical, and very conservative. Going from public school to a Christian school was something of a shock, but I grew to love it. There were so many people of God there, and not just teachers, but students. I learned how to evangelize, and the science of creationism, and that there are some truly amazing people in this world. And for that, I will always thank Ben Lippen (it means "Mountain of Trust").

4. Have you ever met a famous person? Definitely. Joe Wilson and Gresham Barrett, S.C. Representatives to the U.S. Congress. Lindsey Graham and Jim DeMint, my U.S. senators. Also Alex Sanders and Inez Tenenbaum (a.k.a. Taxenbaum), who ran against Graham and DeMint respectively. The South Carolina governor, Mark Sanford, also his wife Jenny Sanford. S.C. Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer. I met Al Gore when I was 7 years old, at Nancy Thurmond's funeral. And, just to break up the political trend, Amy Grant came to town and signed autographs last year, but I had a lab I couldn't miss. I was really mad.

5. What's something you do well? I like to think I can write well; some people even agree with this. I was going through my files the other day, and realized I had written over 130 poems in just a few months. Not that most of them are that good. I'm also really good at organizing the BBW stockroom :)

Thanks for your thoughtful questions, Paula; let's keep the circle going!


14 Comments:

At 4/02/2005 09:57:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

"Which do you prefer, sunrises or sunsets? Why? Sunsets. For the simple reason that I am never up early enough to see a sunrise."

Have you never had an 8 o'clock class?

 
At 4/02/2005 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Nope. And I don't plan to if I can help it.

 
At 4/02/2005 10:14:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

You go girl...

And, nice touch adding all the links.

 
At 4/02/2005 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Thanks, I was going for your look. And I thought people might not know who my famous people were.

 
At 4/03/2005 02:22:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

You have met alot of famous people wow! I didn't know who most of those famous people were.

I tried linking your name on my post the other day, but it wouldn't post until I took the link html off. I don't know what the problem was. It was annoying.

 
At 4/03/2005 02:59:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

I volunteer a lot for politicians, so that's how I met them. I'm one of those people who, when two candidates have a debate, is outside screaming the Republican's name.

 
At 4/03/2005 07:28:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

{butting in} Let's see...I think I'd invite 3 dead people--any dead people would do--because they'd eat less and thus the bill would be smaller.

Sick, I know--I've been told that alot thoughout my life.

Nettie, I'm not sure I can imagine you screaming outside a debate--I'd pictured you screaming IN the debate.

And somehow it slipped my awareness until re-reading this post for like the 4th time: are you a Southern Belle by birth, or by current residence (S.C.) only?

 
At 4/03/2005 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

By birth, Greasy Chickenpants- is there any other way?

 
At 4/03/2005 08:10:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

And Barbara- Jesus, for the obvious reasons. Thomas Jefferson, cause he's my ancestor and he fascinates me. I always have trouble with the third one, so- George W. Bush or Amy Grant. Whoever's free, since they are both alive.

 
At 4/03/2005 08:51:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I suppose it is theoretically possible for a transplant to become a Southern Belle. I'd think it would take quite a few years, though. And thus, seeing as how you're still just a young thing, I should've known you're a Belle by Birth.

Here's the real test (at least to see if you're South Carolinian by birth):

How do you pronounce "schedule"?

a) "SKE-jew-ul"

b) "ske-JOOL"

 
At 4/03/2005 09:22:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

B.

 
At 4/03/2005 09:33:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

That seals the deal: South Carolinian through-and-through.

I guess I should call you "Tootie Belle", huh?

 
At 4/03/2005 09:48:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

That sounds so wrong somehow...

 
At 4/06/2005 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Very interesting...you've had some great posts lately. I saw Amy Grant at Astroworld in Houston WAYYY back in the day, about 1985. Have a good one.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home