Wednesday, March 30, 2005



Interpreting Ancient-ish Pop Culture

It's time for another Good Idea/Bad Idea. Good Idea: Taking out my contacts when they are driving me crazy. Bad Idea: Having to search my room for 20 minutes for my glasses because I neglected to find them while I could still see.

I can do this really excellent Crypt Keeper imitation. The problem is, no one recognizes it. I've screeched, "Hello kiddies!" a few times recently and I've gotten several no-reactions and one, "What is that, the Wizard of Oz?" When informed of its ture origins, the reaction was, "Oh, that's so ancient!" (Like the WIzard of Oz isn't?) Sigh. I suppose I will have to stick to Ace Ventura. Everyone recognizes that.

Why is it, really, that I like the Golden Girls? Is it the forbidden intrigue, never being allowed to stay up and watch in its original run? Is it the excitement of daring to watch:"Lifetime: Television for Women?" Perhaps it is the fact that I still get choked up when I see the finale episode, even though I knowI will be watching all the episodes over...and over...and over...
No, it is none of those things. It is the fact that The Golden Girls have been playing in my background for so long that I can say the characters' lines before they do. Which alternately amuses my friends and makes them go "Wow, you're...just...wow." And it's still funny!

6 Comments:

At 3/31/2005 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Blair said...

I love the Golden Girls... When my friend from NY comes to visit we have a Facts of Life or Golden Girls marathon... the question is: which GG do you most identify with? Me? I like Betty White’s character... I like to live under the illusion that I am really, really, really naive!

 
At 3/31/2005 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

I'm Sophia, because I have a really smart mouth, but I'm so cute I can get away with it!

 
At 3/31/2005 12:47:00 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

Glad to know I'm fulfilling one of my missions in life!

 
At 3/31/2005 01:16:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I had a friend in high school who was like that about "The Andy Griffith Show"; after only a few seconds at the start of the show, he'd be "Oh, this is the episode where Barney..." and he'd give a detailed plot synopsis in less than a minute.

 
At 3/31/2005 04:40:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

My little boy watched a Veggie tale movie so often (he was about 4 at the time). One day I heard him going through the movie quietly. I found out that he not only knew every word to the movie, but also every sound effect. He is a gifted child.

I close with this, "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too."

 
At 2/03/2007 04:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Confucianism should be called a religion Generally speaking, Confucianism is not considered a religion by Chinese or other East Asian people. Part of this attitude may be explained by the stigma placed on many "religions" as being superstitious, illogical, or unable to deal with modernity. Many Buddhists state that Buddhism is not a religion, but a philosophy, and this is partially a reaction to negative popular views of religion. Similarly, Confucians maintain that Confucianism is not a religion, but rather a moral code or philosophic world view.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home