Thursday, July 14, 2005



Harry, Harry, Harry!

OK, so this really would be more properly done tomorrow, but I'm too excited. I have this mad urge to run around the house going, "Harry, Harry, Harry, HARRY!". Just like the other day I went around going, "Michelle, Michelle, Michelle..." And no, Harry is not a new boyfriend. Unless you've been stuck under a rock, you know that it's Harry Potter. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, to be exact.

I wasn't the first to get into the books- it was sometime around when Sorcerer's Stone (aka Philosopher's Stone in Britain) went into paperback- but I can say I am among the ranks of the dedicated. In preparation for this momentous event, I began rereading the series on Monday, starting with Order of the Phoenix and am currently on Chamber of Secrets. And since I both have no life and am an extraordinarily fast reader, I should be done with the series- again- by tomorrow. (To illustrate, I got home with OotP about one last time and was done with it by five. The U.S. version has 870 pages).

But of course, my Harry Potterification wouldn't be complete wtihout the cinematic experience as well. "Where are you, Nettie?"" At the party for the midnight showing of Prisoner of Azkaban, of course!" "Oh. Um, OK." I just started with SS and should be able to finish all three in between Whose Line and SVU viewings. Obviously I'm a bit obsessed.

But why am I obsessed? Why for Christmas do I not only get Harry Potter calendars and games and puzzles, but a new hardback copy of SS since I wore the paperback one to bits? Why is it that at 6 o'clock tomorrow I will be in line in my Harry Potter T-shirt and socks to get a wristband which will hopefully allow me to get a book at midnight? What is it about these books that inflames my passions so that I was ready to do battle with the many at my Christian high school who thought they were evil? Maybe it's because sometimes I long for magical powers (don't we all?). Maybe cause at the time I started reading them I needed a little magic in my life, too. Perhaps because I was never one to read the classics, stuff that other people thought I should be reading. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Soon I and others will know just who the Half-Blood Prince is. And then we will begin waiting rather impatiently for the seventh, and probably final book, in the wonderful world of Harry Potter.

19 Comments:

At 7/14/2005 02:59:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

You kooky, nutty, silly girl, you.

But that's OK.

 
At 7/14/2005 06:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to Saturday morning when our two copies arrive directly from Amazon..

Owen is away so I won't have to fight with them over whose book I can read - or more usually, wait until one or other of them is asleep and pinch it from under their pillow (or out of their hot sweaty hands when they finally give in to sleep)

I too have had battles with some of my Christian friends over the book but to me, the morality behind it far outweighs any misgivings about the nature of the subject matter.

So I am wholly with you on this one Nettie....and roll on Saturday morning I say!!

 
At 7/14/2005 06:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't think it matters whether you read the classics or not, i think what's important is that you find something you have a passion for, which you have. there are alot of people who never find this in books, it's really a loss to them. i'll keep my fingers crossed you get that wrist band!

 
At 7/14/2005 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

You are to cute!

 
At 7/14/2005 08:47:00 PM, Blogger lynnee said...

i watched the movies :D

too lazy to read the books ;)

 
At 7/14/2005 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I, on the other hand, am wishing you a happy hairless day.

 
At 7/14/2005 11:07:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Ummmm....thanks?

 
At 7/14/2005 11:15:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Hi Nettie! Sorry I've been away for so long. I haven't read a Harry Potter book in ages. My sister started reading them when they first came out and then I would hers, but then my family (and now hubby) hopped onto the "Evil Harry" bandwagon, too, so I just try to keep the peace....sigh.

 
At 7/14/2005 11:27:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Come on, hairy legs would surely not be comfortable in your Harry socks.

 
At 7/15/2005 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Tootie, don't get too Harry on us.

 
At 7/15/2005 04:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I want to read that too!

OMG, I get to sleep in my own bed and not some rat crawling, roach crusted dive!

Alice

 
At 7/15/2005 06:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 7/15/2005 04:26:00 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

The Harry Potter stories are the basic, good vs evil. I enjoy them very much. My daughter has her book pre-ordered and she will be at the first showing of the movie when it hits the theater. Even my 3 1/2 yr. old grandson likes "Potter".

 
At 7/15/2005 06:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tick tock, guess you're busy reading!

 
At 7/15/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Christopher Trottier said...

Man, all this hype is driving me battie!

 
At 7/16/2005 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Hey!!! It's 12:04 AM EDT; haven't you got your book yet?

 
At 7/16/2005 08:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess you're still in line?

 
At 7/16/2005 12:13:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Come on, it's been 12 hours and 13 minutes...

 
At 7/16/2005 12:13:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Boy, you people are impatient. But yes, I got it.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home