Thursday, March 03, 2005



Nettie Did It Again

I may not be a self-conscious person, but I would not call getting hauled off in an ambulance in front of a mall full of people one of my finer experiences. To put it mildly, last night was NOT fun....

I have the lousiest timing in the world sometimes. I don't know why I had to go into anaphylactic shock at work. Again. The initial conversation between Harmony, my beleagured manager and I, went something like this: "What are you doing, Nettie?" "Dying?" "Seriously?" "Yeah." "Again?" "Yep." "Am I going to have to call the freaking ambulance on you again?" "I don't know yet." I should explain at this point that for me, my allergic reactions do not progress so fast that I have no hope of them subsiding with Benadryl. So Harmony sat me down with a walkie in the back to await....

Harmony goes, "How you doing?" "Call it." The fun is just beginning. She's calling the ambulance, I'm sitting there trying to breathe, and Adele is sitting there trying to be helpful and not flip out. I have to give her her props though, she was off the clock and stayed there in the back with me cause Harmony had to work the registers. And then the cavalry arrives- security, EMS, fire, I don't know who all, but Harmony told me today all the people really messed up her sales figures. They are all standing around, asking questions like, "Have you eaten any of the foods you're allergic to?" I shake my head, wishing I had breath for a sarcastic reply. Fortunately, Harrmony has enough for the both of us, replying with one of the evil looks she's famous for when they ask if it was something in the store. She's on the phone trying to answer for me at the same time, the customers are in the front dying of curiosity, and poor Ashley and Heather are trying to hold down the fort.

Last time, they had the sense to come to the truck door in the back. This time, they had to park at the front of the mall and haul me out through the store in front of EVERYBODY. Harmony told the customers it was none of their business when they asked about the EMTs. Of course, that didn't keep the rest of the mall customers from staring. I don't know that my consciousness was a good thing at this point. I'm glad it was Harmony there, though- she has enough attitude to keep from freaking out, and still make sure everyone else is doing their job. She tried to spare me the mall trek, but they wouldn't listen to her. Two out of the three other managers would be panicking long before this point, but I'll be kind and not name names.

This is a rather long explanation for why I didn't update last night isn't it? I'll skip to the highlights: The question of the hour is, what did you react to? And the answer of the moment is: I have no idea. I hadn't eaten in three hours, which is past the time limit for me to have reacted to one of my known problem foods (shellfish and cinnamon, if you are dying to know.) It sucks that I don't know what it was I reacted to, but I don't think it was anything at work; hopefully I will get some answers soon. Melissa (at work, not my sister) suggested that perhaps they should put me in a bubble. But what if I was allergic to the bubble? Hah, ha. Most people don't see the humor in this, but really, almost anything in life can be funny. How are we going to get through it otherwise?

I am glad that spring break is coming up, though. Nothing tires me out like this, and all the stuff they pumped me full of really screws with my system. But hey, as long as I'm still here, and can talk, I'll keep bouncing back. End rant.

13 Comments:

At 3/03/2005 01:29:00 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

I am now. I'll probably add some more about the aftermath tomorrow, but rest assured, I am still kicking.

 
At 3/03/2005 02:47:00 AM, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Sherbert Nettie! That is so hectic! Hope you're alright? Maybe it was because you hadn't eaten in three hours? Hope you going to be okay. And who cares what the customers think - it's your 15 minutes of fame. :) Look after yourself sweetheart! xx

 
At 3/03/2005 10:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had this same reaction when they gave Eminem a Grammy.

 
At 3/03/2005 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Guy Hutchinson said...

Wow. That is pretty scary! I hope all is well now.

 
At 3/03/2005 01:53:00 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Honey, it ain't a rant. Prayers offered up for you.

Is it possible that a candle scented with cinnamon could have caused it? I used to work inpatient at a psych hospital, and I've witnessed anaphylaxis--not fun. Hope you find out the culprit, and can stay away from it.

 
At 3/03/2005 02:43:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Jeff- possible, but not very probable, since I'm around them all the time and they would have casued it by now. At least I believe so, and I know a lot about this. Thanks so much for your prayers.

 
At 3/03/2005 04:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i lllllllllllllllove house and simple life interns edition that were on after American idol the last few days!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3/03/2005 04:39:00 PM, Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

Glad you are ok Nettie! :)

 
At 3/03/2005 04:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thoes were on last night sorry!!!

 
At 3/03/2005 04:45:00 PM, Blogger Amigo said...

Glad to see that you're ok. SInce you're going into medicine, how about allergy research?

 
At 3/03/2005 05:55:00 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Sounds like you're used to this kind of crazy drama...I bet you're glad you have such a good support system in place at work...and next time maybe you can think of a better way to meet a cute fire-fighter.

 
At 3/03/2005 07:29:00 PM, Blogger mrsd said...

Do you have to carry one of those epi pens around? I hope you figure out what triggered your reaction, so it doesn't happen again. :(

 
At 3/05/2005 11:26:00 PM, Blogger Blair said...

Oh Nettie... I am so sorry to hear it happened again. I hope you enjoy spring break.

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home