Tuesday, April 05, 2005



And It Keeps On Rollin' On

It's funny how several interviews have included a question or two about Harvey. You're famous, boy. This one is courtesy of Blair.

1. What made you decide to blog? A: I was hoping someone would ask this. The long answer: I was lying in bed on a summer night and thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to have my own website? But wait, I don't have a clue how to design one, and I don't have any money either. Wait, aren't there things called blogs? Maybe one of those wouldn't be too hard to set up. I'll have to look into it tomorrow." The short answer? I was bored.

2. . Where do you want to study medicine and what happened that made you chose pediatrics? A: Before high school, I was just a typical kid who wanted to be a lot of different things. Then I started thinking, what about medicine? And the more I thought about it, the more it felt like that was what I was meant to do. I believe the human body is a wondrous creation of God, and everything about it fascinates me. And all the medical stuff I've been through has just strengthened my resolve to help others get through it, too. Also, I love kids. I always wanted a younger sibling but that never happened. I think it would be a lot of fun to work with them. The two most common reactions I get when I say I want to do pediatrics are, "I wouldn't want to see sick kids"- but I want to make them better- and "I couldn't stand to deal with all those screaming kids"- I was a screaming kid. Believe me, I can hold my own there. As to where- probably one of the two state schools here. I'd love to go to Duke though.

3. Do you keep Harvey's insides clean or is it worthy for an archeological dig? why, in either case? A: I'm afraid Harvey would be the latter. This is partly because I am a natural slob and tend to have receipts, change, Chapstick, parking tickets, half-finished Dr. Peppers, and the like, floating around me wherever I go. But also, I keep a lot of stuff in his trunk in case I need it- clothes, food, water, Coke, sunscreen, towels, books, umbrellas, shoes to beat the ice off the windshield with, jumper cables, and Wal-Mart bags. So if we ever got stranded somewhere I could live for a good week. At least that's my rationale.

4. What color M&M do you prefer and why? Green. I once read somewhere that you can wish on them, like stars. Hey, it can't hurt.

5. If you could repeat any age that you have been so far, which would it be? Probably age four. It sounds like a cliche, but everything was simpler back then. War meant watching the soldiers on TV and singing Lee Greenwood at the top of my lungs. And a hurricane meant I could stay home from kindergarden and play with flashlights. It was before everything got so complicated. Wow, I'm getting sappy.

9 Comments:

At 4/05/2005 11:46:00 PM, Blogger Blair said...

Wow... Harvey reminds me of Put-put! Cars that have an archeological dig in them are the best!
Hurrican Hugo - boy do I remember that! I had a boyfriend at the Citadel (ironically, it was the brother of a blogger friend). I had a visit planned for the week after, I went anyway! wow, it was devastation... I will never forget it, seeing as the worst I had ever had to deal with was an earthquake.

 
At 4/06/2005 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

"Before high school, I was just a typical kid".

Oh, sweet Belle of the Carolinas, thou wast never "typical"...beyond the kin of all those blessed to walk in your presence, and like mine own self, to bask in the glory that is "your blog".

Hey, great interview. You just get more and more interesting.

I've actually thought the last couple of days of starting a new blog with nothing but interviews. Kind of a "Meet the Bloggers" thing. Of course, it's not like I have an unlimited amount of time--perhaps I might make it a group blog, with a few select contributors/co-editors.

 
At 4/06/2005 04:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, when did you start giving interviews?

 
At 4/06/2005 05:02:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Why, do you want one?

 
At 4/06/2005 05:41:00 PM, Blogger mrsd said...

I enjoy reading your blog, Nettie. :) Now I'm gonna wish on green M&Ms too.

You'll make a great pediatrician because you can feel for your patients! Having a heart to go along with the head knowledge will make you a very popular doctor. People know when someone cares, especially little people.

 
At 4/06/2005 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I have never known what color Harvey is. Can you tell me that? I may have missed it in an interview or two, I don't know.

 
At 4/06/2005 08:00:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Harvey is gray, but he looks silver in the sun.

 
At 4/06/2005 09:03:00 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Oh, your Silver Bullet, nice! Sorry I made him green on this blog. ;(

 
At 4/06/2005 09:28:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Couldnt help but notice that you have this whole interview fling going on...

so got any questions for an average 14 year old from a small town in Michigan?

Randomness is good.

Have fun, Nettie!

 

Post a Comment


Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

<< Home